While in school to become a paralegal I have been doing a lot of research regarding the law. I have seen some cases and read the rules and learned some of their exceptions. My favorite thing so far, however, are all the silly or just plain weird laws I’ve come across. I thought I’d share some with you all. Here goes:
- In Florida, if you own, maintain or operate a commercial establishment that sells alcohol on the premises you will lose your license and be fined up to $1000 if you promote or permit any contests or recreational activities that could harm any persons with dwarfism. No dwarf throwing contests, guys. Fla. Stat. T. 34, Ch. 561, 665 (1989).
- In Louisiana, if you want to eat jambalaya in a public restaurant, be aware that preparing this staple dish in the traditional manner is not subject to any of the states sanitary codes. It is allowed to be served for public consumption and there’s no way of knowing what’s been put in it. La. Stat. T. 42, §4.2, 1977, No. 166, §1.
- In Connecticut, you have to have a license to horde trash. Trash. Conn. Gen. Stat. § 19-1, (1977 ).
- In Oklahoma, it is illegal to wrestle a bear. Why would you want to do that anyway? Have you seen The Revenant? Dude gets torn up! 21 Okla. St. Ann. § 1700.
- In California, Any person may possess any number of live frogs to use in frog-jumping contests, but if such a frog dies or is killed, it must be destroyed as soon as possible, and may not be eaten or otherwise used for any purpose. just wasteful.(1957) Cal. Stat. 6883.
- In Minnesota, it is illegal to oil or grease a pig and then try to catch it. This is considered to be a misdemeanor. Is this your idea of fun, Minnesota? Minn. Stat. Ch. 343 § 36, 2013.
- In Nebraska, anyone who has a venereal disease is not allowed to get married. So if you want to get married, get tested. Also, don’t lie about having an STD, it’s tacky. Neb. Rev. Stat. Ch. 42, § 102, 1978.
- In Ohio, operators of coal mines must have an adequate supply of toilet paper provided with each toilet. This is a law, y’all. Ohio Rev. Law Title 15, Ch. 1563, § 23(H) 1995.
- In Texas, if you want to run for any state office position you gotta believe in the Lord. If not, you have to take a religious test. “No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.” Tex. Const. Art. 1, § 4, (1972).
- In Wisconsin, the butter must have a highly pleasing butter flavor. Them folks love their butter. Wis. Stat. ATCP 85.03, (2017).
Well that was interesting to research. I couldn’t help but notice a lot of the crazy laws in this country involve animals…I tried to not have too many of those. What do you all think? What are some weird or ridiculous laws in your state that I didn’t cover? Let me know in the comments!