Happy Birthday, Dad

Today is the birthday of the man who fathered me.

img_0412

Though he wasn’t perfect he was a good dad. He was always up for fun. He would tickle us, wrestle with us, joke around with us. He would race us to the car or come up behind us and scare us. He taught me how to shoot a gun and he took me fishing. He showed me that money doesn’t grow on trees and you have to work hard for it every day. He taught me to never rely on a man to take care of me, to set myself up to make enough money to support myself and any children that I had all on my own.

img_0404

He always gave us hugs and kisses before bed. He helped me with my school work and when I got my first period he just squeezed me and said, “you’re getting old, sister.”

img_0413

He would take us out on his boat and we would go tubing or fishing, if he had a fish on his line he would always trade one of us and let us reel the fish in. He would watch old cartoons with us and say what was going to happen before it happened. Then look at us to see our reaction. He would crack up at Disney movies with us and was just as fond of them as we were.

img_0411

He taught me how to drive and it made him so anxious. He would be on edge the whole time, even though he wouldn’t admit it.

img_0410

A story he always tells is how he had to take me to work one day because there was ice and snow on the roads so he took me in his welding truck and after he dropped me off he did donuts in the parking lot. He loves to tell that story.

img_0395

I can’t hear a George Strait song without thinking of him. I give my kids nicknames because he gave us nicknames. He’s the most stubborn man I know.

img_0403

Happy birthday, dad. I love you. I wouldn’t be who I am without you. Please enjoy all these old photos I found of my dad.

img_0397

Fishing is one of his favorite past times.

img_0399

I believe he was in the army at this time.

img_0400

A teenage James.

img_0392

My dad and his sister Brenda.

8 Comments Add yours

1. James says:

Thank you Cadie. That was so sweet. I love you too! That’s a great birthday present!

Liked by 1 person

2. Lifetime Chicago says:

How beautiful…my Dad passed away when I was 12 and my children lost their Dad when they were in their late 20s.

Liked by 1 person

1. I’m sorry to hear that. My dad is a very important part of my life and I know when he passes my world will get a little dimmer.

3. Tom Burton says:

Lovely memories, with some great parenting advice! 😀

Liked by 1 person

4. Patty duke Ybarra says:

Awe happy birthday cuz loved reading and looking at those pictures still as handsome as always

Liked by 1 person

5. Brenda D Brown says:

What a beautiful, living tribute to your dad, Cadie. You have no idea how much he was a champion for you and your siblings. You have your memories as we all do–perception is everything, but you have no idea what it was like to walk in his shoes during those times. He’s a good man, a good dad, and an amazing person. You were lucky to have him for your dad, though he would say he was blessed to have you for one of his daughters.

Liked by 1 person

6. Mackenzie says:

Happy birthday to your dad! This is a lovely birthday post. Such special memories here too.

Liked by 1 person

7. Hunida says:

Aww happy belated birthday to your wonderful father!! ♡ Thank you for sharing all these beautiful moments with us! I was especially touched by your first period moment. ♡

Liked by 1 person