Do You Celebrate Valentine’s Day?

I’ve had a few memorable Valentine’s days, one being the cringiest of them all. I don’t want to talk about it. It’s still really embarrassing.

In an article I read from npr.org, the origins of Valentine’s day were actually kind of…dark. Men would hit women with bloody animal pelts to “make them fertile” and they would pull women’s names from jars to procreate with over the holiday. You can read the whole article here.

My husband and I have never done anything big or crazy for Valentine’s day. We go to dinner but that’s about it. We gave each other gifts before but we don’t really feel it’s necessary to get each other gifts anymore. We just feel like it’s all a little silly. Our anniversary is more important and more of a celebration of love for us.

The anniversary of when we first said I love you is a week after Valentine’s day so we also like to celebrate that over Valentine’s. That’s actually a cute story. I was living with a friend at the time, since I had moved out of my ex-husband’s house, and it was about 10:30 at night. I was in bed talking to Marc on the phone and we both had to be up at 4:00 the next morning for work but we just kept talking on the phone anyway. I wanted to tell him I loved him but I didn’t want to tell him over the phone so he got up and drove thirty minutes to my house so we could say I love you in person. I don’t remember what time we finally went to sleep but I was so happy. Ever since we’ve remembered that day and we’ll be celebrating seven years of I love you’s this year.

Do you celebrate Valentine’s day? How do you celebrate?

Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels

22 Comments Add yours

1. Andrea says:

Like mothersday and fathersday and many other commercial days, this day feels like a guilt trip.
    Sometimes I forget to buy a present, other times the other does.
    This time it’s me and as soon I found, I felt this this guilt.
    Not that Jasper would hold it against me, it’s just my own feeling.

So yeah, now I am stuck crying in the company bathroom. Damnit!

1. Just give him some lovin’ and tell him that’s his gift. Lol

2. I was reading about Lupercalia a few days ago.

I am all for celebrating every day of love together – hope you both have a wonderful day today, tomorrow, and every day – including your I LOVE YOU anniversary next week! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! ❤️ Happy Valentine’s Day.

3. Karen says:

I have always HATED Valentine’s Day. I wasn’t a sought after girl in school. The one year I had a boyfriend he broke up with me and we got back together sometime after Valentine’s Day.

When my husband proposed, you guessed it, he did so on “The worst day of the year”. It took me about 5 years to stop being upset about it and changing my perspective to be thankful that he forever changed my least favorite day of the year to one of my top five.

Wouldn’t you guess Valentine’s Day is in my daughter’s top 5 Holidays. It moved from #1 to #4 this year.

4. Milca says:

Oh my god he drove to say I love you in person?!?! That’s so cute!!!!!! Have a good VDay girl!🤗

1. Happy Valentine’s Day to you! ❤️

5. Bex says:

This year’s form of ‘I love you’ to my husband will be pizza roses for dinner. I’m so stinkin’ excited! 😀

1. That sounds cute! I’m making mine spaghetti and meatballs lol

1. Bex says:

Gonna have a little Lady and the Tramp moment…? Cute!

6. Tom Burton says:

Happy Valentine’s day! Hope you both have a lovely day together!

1. Thank you! Happy Valentine’s Day to you, my friend. ❤️

7. terrepruitt says:

We celebrate Valentine’s Day, but not in a big way. We just do what we want. Going out is not really what we want since it seems so many places are crowded and they have a prix fixe menu. Since I do 99% of the cooking, I consider it a special treat when my husband cooks. And this Valentine’s Day fell on a Thursday and I work so it worked out great that he cooked while I was teaching. Then came home to a yummy dinner. We always exchange cards. Our cats are even nice enough to get us cards. 🙂

It is super sweet that you two celebrate “I Love You” Day.

Liked by 1 person

1. I love that your husband cooked for you! Marc did that for our first Valentine’s Day, he’s not much of a cook so he made breakfast foods, which were delicious. I like that your kitties get you cards to. I miss having a cat, I want one so bad but we rent and Idk want to pay the extra costs of having a pet right now.

1. terrepruitt says:

My husband has a few dishes; taco salad, curry, beef stroganoff, and grilled beef. I feel like I am forgetting one and substituting grilled beef for it. But, he has dishes and I pick which one I want and that is what he makes. This occasion it was beef stroganaff.

Our cats always get us cards. And the cards they get with my husband for me, crack me up because they are not “cat for mom” cards, they are “daughter for mom” cards. Hilarious (to me). And sweet – because they ARE my daughters!

I LOVE breakfast foods so I am happy if anyone wants to cook them for me. I love breakfast for dinner!!!!! So fun. Breakfast foods can be an amazing variety so that works!!!!! What did he cook? What is your favorite breakfast food?

Well, I don’t like to think about the money that TWO cats cost us because it is a lot more that I make! So it really is a bit of a sacrifice, but you get a lot in return. It is just different WHAT the return is.

Pet are money AND WORK . . . so, ya just have to be in the right place in life.

Our cats are soooooooooo awesome . . . . I only wanted one, but they came as a bonded pair and they both are so great . . . . we are so blessed to have them!

I hope you had a very Happy Valentine’s Day!

Liked by 1 person

2. Thank you! I love beef stroganaff, that sounds like an amazing Valentine’s Day dinner. As far as the breakfast food goes I would have to say pancakes are probably my favorite or biscuits with peanut butter and syrup. My husband made stuffed French toast with eggs and bacon for me , it was really good.And I agree that cats can be work, of course they’re worth it. But with toddlers running around it’s work I don’t want to add right now. Haha.

3. terrepruitt says:

The stroganoff was very good. Pancakes are yummy. Stuffed French Toast sounds awesome! Toddlers AND pets would be a lot.

8. Mackenzie says:

Hey, Cadie! Fun to read this. we do Valentine’s Day, but in a “small” way usually- like get each other just cards and then just make dinner at home is our favorite way to do it! The past few years we have cooked together and made pizza or pasta. This year we did go out to dinner because we had a giftcard! Hope you are having a great weekend 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. I hope your weekend is going well! We had spaghetti and meatballs and just enjoyed each other’s company. Where did you two go?

1. Mackenzie says:

Yum-cannot go wrong with spaghetti & meatballs, perfect valentine’s day dinner!! We went to a restaurant in San Francisco called The CliffHouse!

9. Hunida says:

Awww, that’s so sweet that you remember your first ‘I love yous’ & even still celebrate it. I have no idea when boyfriend & I started saying it to each other LOL.