When I was a kid my mom would always make these cookies and I can’t eat anything with almond extract and not think about those cookies and Christmas and all the good times we had when I was a kid at Christmas time.
My mother got this recipe from her grandmother so she would make a special batch for her dad so that he can remember his mother and her cookies.
I absolutely love these cookies. Their pretty much your basic sugar cookie but the icing is what really makes these cookies so delicious.
Here are the ingredients:
- 3 cups of sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 sticks real butter
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- lots of flour
For the icing you need:
- powdered sugar
- almond extract
- Combine buttermilk and baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, baking powder, salt, butter, Crisco and vanilla extract in a large bowl until smooth.
- Slowly alternate adding buttermilk mixture and flour in small amounts into the smooth mixture. Keeping adding flour until it forms a workable dough but do not over flour or cookies will be dry.
- Roll dough out on floured surface. Cut out cookies.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees until bottom of cookie turns brown, do not overcook. About 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool, apply icing and decorate with sprinkles.
Put powdered sugar in a bowl and add milk. Mix until it is a thick but spreadable mixture. Add a bit of almond extract then spoon onto cookies.
Happy birthday, Mom!!!